- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 3 1/2 cups AP flour
- Pour warm water into large bowl with yeast.
- Add sugar, egg, vanilla, salt, and melted shortening. Mix with mixer.
- Add flour and continue to mix with mixer.
- Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Shape into rolls or buns of desired shape and size, let rise again for 1 more hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until browned as desired.
Hint: We made these very small to use as sliders, and later my husband told me his Aunt used this recipe for making buns - like hamburger buns. These are sweeter than most hamburgers buns, and I topped them with butter and Italian seasoning. A great way to prepare the dough for the second rise, is to use a pizza cutter to divide the dough into portions. Enjoy!