Not everybody likes them.
In our house only 3 of the 5 people living here, actually
admit to liking them.
I, am in the group that does like them.
I like them very much!
A while back, someone suggested I make my own.
I've seen them made on TV.
I've ordered them from restaurants and bought them
from food service stores...but until tonight -
I had never successfully made them.
But tonight - SUCCESS!!
I even got my husband to try and enjoy my version of fried pickles.
Here's what I did:
thinly sliced pickles, or pickle chips
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning blend
oil for frying
*ranch dressing for dipping*
- Cut pickles into bite size pieces if not using dill chips. Once pickles are bite size, remove from brine and separate so that each piece can be dredged individually.
- Combine AP flour, cornmeal, and cajun seasoning in a shallow dish.
- Use a fork to dredge each pickle bite in the seasoned flour mix.
- Heat oil to desired temperature, and drop covered pickles into hot oil one at a time - not overcrowding the oil.
- Deep fry the pickle bites 1-2 minutes. Browning will occur in the frying process.
- Remove deep fried pickles from the hot oil, and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with buttermilk dressing for dipping.