Monday, July 23, 2012

Mudpies - A.K.A. No-Bake Cookies (Candy)


My Mom made these delicious chocolate and oatmeal, no-bake cookies every year for holidays.  Christmas.  Easter.  Thanksgiving. 4th of July...Family reunion - a true family staple.  As a child, these were my favorite.  I couldn't hardly wait and would often volunteer to "help" just so I could sneak an early bite (or two).  In Mom's cookbook, this recipe is labeled quite simply: No-Bake Cookies (Candy).  I have decided to start calling them Mudpies.  Yes, yes, I know this is quite a common recipe and many households have prepared and shared this recipe for generations.  My Mom would both appreciate and be amused by our name-calling of these yummy treats.  Knowing her grandsons got to enjoy these "Mudpies" would just be the icing on her cake.  Thank you for sharing with us Mom, we love and miss you!


Ingredients & Directions:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 stick margarine
Combine in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, mixing well.  Remove from heat.  Add to remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
Mix well with chocolate sauce.  Drop by spoonful on to wax paper and allow to cool.  To store, wrap tightly and store in an air-tight container.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment