- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lbs smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small pineapple, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small cantaloupe, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt & pepper to season as desired
- Making the marinade: In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, soy sauce, water, honey, and salt. Divide in half. Half will be used to baste and half should be put into a resealable bag or covered dish to marinade the sausage.
- Refrigerate reserved marinade, and marinading sausage separately in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Remove the marinading sausage from the refrigerator - drain and discard the marinade.
- On soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers, thread alternately sausage, pineapple, cantaloupe, and green pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill skewers uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes while turning and basting with reserved marinade.
Hint: Grilled cantaloupe did not sound appealing to me - but OMGoodness it is delicious! We keep a blend of *house* seasoning, (equal parts salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper) on hand to add a little extra punch. Sparingly. On these kabobs, it was delicious!! Even on the pineapple chunks - it worked very well! Maybe next time we will add some chunks of red onion. Maybe!
This recipe is linked up over at Grateful Belly for this week's What's New Wednesday post...go see what other AWESOME and AMAZING ideas are being shared!!