Another one of Mom's recipes... Besides having leftover turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce or mashed potato pancakes or enjoying a breakfast feast of leftover ham and yeast rolls - this turkey casserole recipe was something to look forward to every holiday. This recipe is exactly why we buy an extra big turkey - we are making sure we have leftovers!!
1/4 cup minced onion
2/3 cup chopped green peppers
2 stalks chopped celery
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3-4 cups cooked turkey, cut into chunks
1 TBS lemon juice
2 tsp salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2-1 cup slivered toasted almonds *optional*
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 1/2 - 2 cups crushed potato chips
- In a deep skillet saute onion, peppers, and celery in butter until tender...do not brown.
- Stir in turkey, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cover skillet and place over low heat until ingredients are hot.
- Before serving, remove from heat and lightly stir in mayonnaise and nuts.
- Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and potato chips.
- Heat under broiler until top is golden brown, 5-10 minutes depending on your oven.