- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs, beat with a fork
- 1/2-3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup AP flour*
- 3/4 cup AP flour PLUS 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- oil, for frying
- Gather all ingredients.
- Slice tomatoes in thick slices (about 1/2 inch thick).
- In 3 separate, shallow containers set up dredging line. 1st shallow container: 3/4 cup AP flour (unseasoned) to coat sliced green tomatoes. 2nd container: skim milk and egg mixture. 3rd container: 3/4 cup AP flour PLUS seasoned bread crumbs, garlic salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in frying pain over medium heat.
- Dredge each side of each green tomato slice in order of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd containers. Use tongs or forks...it will be messy. (Messy is good!)
- When oil is ready, carefully place battered tomato slice in hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. (About 2 minutes per side.)
- Remove fried green tomato slices from hot oil, and lay on a paper towel covered plate to cool and drain.
- Be prepared to be swarmed by eager eaters - these don't last long!
Hints: Ranch dressing for dipping or zatziki sauce (my preference) goes well with these yummy slices. Instead of a traditional BLT, try substituting one of these slices for the red tomato slice in your sandwich. When looking for green tomatoes, choose firm unbruised fruit. I found our green tomatoes at the local Farmer's Market. (Sadly my tomato plant is growing and growing but not producing fruit.) Enjoy!!