1 TBS plus 1 tsp chipotle in adobe sauce, divided
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 cups crushed saltine crackers, divided
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup AP flour
3 TBS vegetable oil
3/4 cup beef broth
- In a mixing bowl combine 1 tsp of the chipotle pepper, the ground beef, 1/2 cup of the crushed crackers, 1/4 cup of the buttermilk, egg, salt, and black pepper. Mix until ingredients are well combined.
- Shape 5 patties, approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Prepare 3 shallow dishes to coat patties: 1st dish - flour, 2nd dish - 3/4 cup of buttermilk, and 3rd dish - 1 cup of crushed saltine crackers.
- Coat each patty in the (1st) flour, (2nd) buttermilk, and (3rd) crushed crackers pressing slightly to well coat each patty.
- To cook "steaks" heat 3 TBS vegetable oil in deep skillet over medium heat. Cook each patty 4-6 minutes on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Set cooked patties on a plate so the skillet can be used to prepare the Chipotle Gravy.
- With the patties removed, add 2 TBS of the AP flour to the skillet. Whisk until smooth adding beef broth and 1 TBS of chipotle pepper. Continue to whisk until smooth mixture comes to a boil (1-3 minutes). Keep whisking and add in 1/2 cup buttermilk, cooking for an additional 1-3 minutes and continually whisking to keep gravy smooth.
- Serve gravy over "steaks"
**Adapted from The Pampered Chef, 29 minutes to dinner, volume 2**